Free Agency- it's not just for guys anymore!

Friday, January 8, 2010

Last weekend I got a phone call I wasn't expecting. A certain young man, who really ticked me off right before the holidays, was back in town and called me to "finish our conversation". He seemed surprised when I told him I hadn't expected to hear from him at all, and he said, "But...you don't just leave a conversation like that hanging!" When I pointed out that he HAD, at least for a week and change, it seemed to register. So...that was sort of encouraging.

He went on to say this...well, it's sort of paraphrased, but you get the idea:

Him: "I really like hanging out with you, and I want to keep doing that, but...I feel weird about the sex part. You're like, only the third person I've been with, and it feels weird doing that when we're not technically committed."

Me: (frantically doing mental math to see how many you get when you divide my number by three) "Oh, I totally understand that, and we can dial that part back, no problem."

So then we agree to hang out later that evening. And of course the making out starts. And then I, in an uncharacteristic show of restraint, said:

"Maybe we should stop for now. I should be getting home."

And wouldn't you know, suddenly that DIDN'T seem like such a great idea to him, even as he told me he's "feeling bad that he's thinking of seeing other people" and isn't sure he wants to commit to me...and he doesn't want to hurt my feelings. Imagine his surprise when I said:

"Actually, I'm seeing other people. And it's fine with me if we still go out, if he have sex, don't have sex, whatever. Either this goes somewhere or it doesn't."

The fact that I was kind of indifferent/totally accommodating and not biting his head off seemed to be too much for his brain to absorb. Seriously. So anyway...we'll see. At this point I doubt we have much long-term potential, but I'll certainly take advantage of the great sex while I date around. Because after all, what's good for the goose...

1 comments:

Caleb said...

Ha!

That's equality at it's best. Men do it, right? I'm all for you ladies behaving like men, but I too have been bamboozled by the shock of it.

Well played.

But what's with the "ticked off" part? It seems like you ladies have SOMETHING to tick you off in every post.

And I mean that with all due respect.

Caleb