A little help from your friends

Sunday, December 5, 2010

Get excited...NoBridget is blogging again (read: is single again and actively trying to date)!

I was out to dinner with friends on Friday night: one other single, two married. The other single-woman shared a great story about meeting a guy she's really excited about. She had started online dating a few months back and was feeling really discouraged and had gotten to a place where she was accepting of the possibility of a relationship just not being in the cards for her. Some close friends of hers continue(d) to encourage her to date and try to meet someone. In fact, one of the friends suggested that she sign-on to the online profile and do some searches for my friend and update her profile a bit. Long story short: the friend found a great match for my friend, they met and really hit it off!

Of course, I was inspired by this story for two reasons: 1. I do think that friends sometimes know you better than you know yourself; and 2. It inspired me to log back into dating websites. However, after looking at what's available I'm thinking maybe I need a friend to do it for me. Takers?

3 comments:

Caleb said...

Yeah, there are a lot of frogs out there, eh? I'm the only guy I know who uses dating sites, but I have a handful of girlfriends that use it. They show me the best of (read: worst of) profiles and messages they get.

It's probably not a bad idea to have a friend screen all your messages and only show you the 'non-creepers'. Otherwise it seems pretty easy to get jaded.

I think it works both ways, too. Many attractive women get a million offers and so never feel like the should look around and make "first contact" (I like sci-fi), but a lot of guys give up on searching through hordes of unintelligent troglodytes and aren't out there making contact.

Friend-screening your online dating world... not a bad idea!

Megan said...

I'll screen for you!

Caleb said...

Can you start with a girl whose opening line is: " I want a guy on the same wave line as me?"

?

Pretty sure, no.