Scoreboard

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

So, remember how I said two Sundays ago I had a super awesome time and hopefully I'd be updating you soon? Well, aren't you lucky, because I'm gonna do that now!

As many times as I've tried the online dating thing, and as small as everyone claims my fair city is, I hadn't yet run into anyone I already knew in real life. That is, until the Saturday after Thanksgiving, when I got an e-mail commenting on my love of The Cutting Edge. When I looked at the photo, I realized it was a guy I knew casually from my last job. (One who I'd always thought was kinda cute, so...bonus!) And after a few e-mails back and forth, he asked for my number.

The next day he called and suggested we hang out, and offered to make me risotto. And we had a great night. And then there was date number two- also awesome. So I was starting to get pretty excited, because really, there were a lot of little things about him that I thought were great. Suffice it to say, he was earning points all over the place.

Admit it, people- we all have some kind of internal point system. Your date earns points when they do something good, and you mentally deduct when they do something lame. Even if you don't realize it, you're keeping score. So when he cooked me dinner, remembered mundane details from the stories I was telling, and was rather adorably trying to throw popcorn down the front of my shirt at the movies, the scoreboard was counting 'em up.

A week later, this past Sunday, my mom called and told me to come home, because my grandfather, who has been ill for some time, was probably not going to make the day. He died at 2AM Monday. Because the funeral wasn't till later this week, I came back to work for a couple of days, and yesterday by lunch the emotions and lack of sleep were making me crazy. And so I called him, even though I thought it might be a lot to ask after just two dates, and I asked if he'd come over and distract me. And he said "Sure."

So he rode his bike. To my house. Six miles. And he brought The Cutting Edge on DVD and a Ziploc bag of popcorn, and told me he hoped I had a pot with a see-through lid, because while any lid would work, it was more fun to actually WATCH the popcorn pop.

His season is off to quite a good start, really.

0 comments: