Awkward Pause

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Recently, I had yet another first date. The thing that was different about this first date was that I was actually kind of excited for it. I'd been seriously considering a hiatus, since I approached most dates these days with all the enthusiasm one usually has for major dental work sans anesthetic- but just before I went off the grid this guy contacted me. And lo and behold, he was funny and interesting. And so, a date.

We had a nice time getting coffee, walking around outside since the weather was nice, and having a great conversation...and then after about an hour and a half he said something along the lines of, "Well, I'm heading this way, and you have to go that way to get home, right? It was good meeting you; I'll be in touch."

It was 7:30.

I walked toward the subway feeling disappointed. I'd had somewhat high hopes for this one, and it seemed like he didn't like me all that much. At least, any other time a date has ended that way, the guy has pretty much never been "in touch" again.

So I was very pleasantly surprised when he DID get in touch, just a couple of hours later. It seems he had a good time but wasn't sure what to do at the end, and he feared he'd made things awkward. I told him I was game for a do-over if he was.

So...do-over to commence in four hours.

2 comments:

Little Red said...

So how was it?

CarrieLives said...

Well, it was good. A "third date" is on hold because he's traveling for work, so we'll see...