Deja Vu All Over Again

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

You may remember that a while back, I received a message from a guy who I'd gone out with before and that he didn't seem to remember me. In the end I decided to just come clean right away, and we had a laugh over it and neither of us could remember why we only went out once back then and never called each other. Since it stood to reason that if the date had been truly awful at least ONE of us would remember it, we decided to give it another go.

Since then we've been out twice- due to opposite work schedules and a LOT of travel on my part, there were five weeks between those two dates. But I guess that's better than five years, am I right?

So far it's been a lot of fun, and fairly relaxed, which is nice given my tendency toward being a neurotic freakbag about this stuff. But we'll just see if we can get to a place of actually hanging out more often than once a month, or if this will peter out like it did back in the bygone days of 2005.

In other news, NoBridget introduced the Queen and me to Project Husband 2011 (found via 27 Dresses in Cleveland) and we're both horrified. What do you think, readers? Is this a great experiment in the power of positive thinking, or is this woman absolutely batshit insane? (Call me crazy, but I think booking a wedding venue and choosing a dress BEFORE you have a groom is putting the cart before the horse just a tad.)

9 comments:

Caleb said...

OMG.

Why, oh why, did you send me to that project husband shenanigan-fest?

Is she serious?? Did you read that frickin' questionnaire? Holy Santa Claus shit- that thing is tougher than the ACT!

She's lucky she looks cute and I'm sure there will be guys who will humor her to get laid, but that is NOT a good approach.

Okay, I calmed down and thought about it.

If a chick told me she had a wedding already planned, either

1. She was an 8+
I would congratulate her on her creativity, use it as a talking point, and seem like just enough of an interesting guy to go on the next date. As time is ticking down she will inevitably feel the time crunch and see each date with me as an irretreivable investment, thereby giving me complete leverage.

2. She was < 8
I would excuse myself to go to the bathroom and sprint as far away as I could until my lungs burst.

Thoughts?

PS you forgot a guy you dated? Wow- you must be really tearing through them!

CarrieLives said...

It was he who forgot me, actually. I remembered him, I just didn't have a strong memory of that date being really good or really bad.

The Queen of Spades said...

I think men only go along with it as it engages their competitive side. It's like a low-rent version of The Bachelorette, fewer rose-giving ceremonies and more coffee dates. Call me crazy, but if I were getting married, I would want my soon-to-be-spouse to be an active participant in the planning of our wedding. (As long as he goes along with my plan to have a chicken tandor and a mariachi band, of course.)

So, Caleb, allowing that the woman was attractive enough, you would see this as a perfect opportunity to manipulate the situation? To what goal, just to sleep with her and disappear? Also, you seem to think only a conventionally attractive woman would be able to pull this off...what if she wasn't a petite, attractive brunette?

CarrieLives said...

Perhaps Caleb is more into redheads. Or blondes. He didn't really specify what MAKES an 8+, after all. I'd be willing to bet her dress size needs to be <8.

Caleb said...

Wow- you gals are good! Did we go on a date and I forgot it too? :)

Right- I could go into a very detailed explanation of what makes an 8+, but I'll save you the trouble. I do happen to like skinny girls (we won't go into the psychology of that) but I have a close friend (The Nerv if you read my blog) who likes thicker girls and rarely gives any girl under a size 6 anything higher than an 8.


Yes, just to get laid. Sounds shallow, I know, but maybe planning a wedding without the input of a(ny) groom just as shallow (I agree that it should be done together, and that mariachi is the way to go).

Mayhaps our mutual shallowness would cause the extreme irony of us working out together perfectly.

Life is like that, right?

Caleb

PS I have to remember that when I post caleb-style comments, that I'm up against three women. Not sure if I like those odds..

:)

NoBridget said...

I want to meet Nerv...only because something tells me Caleb is under 5'11" and that puts him at a 7 (at best) for me.

And that's all I have to say...

Caleb said...

You stalkin' me?

I'm about 5'10.5 exactly, and peg myself at almost an exact 7. Not too good looking that I can depend on just looks, yet cute enough that my charm can separate me from the herd.

I wouldn't have it any other way!

Okay, it would be nice to be Mr. Dreamy for one day. Just one.

Nerv is tall. Youtube search "Caleb sings the anthem" and look for a still picture of a guy eating a hot dog. That's him, and that's me singing- all parts!

Caleb said...

NoB- Wanted to tell you again that you are spot-on with your prediction of Lisa's wedding project.

Chicks, right?

:)

I read on her blog that she was on NBC?

Caleb

Anonymous said...

I must digg your post therefore other people can look at it, really helpful, I had a tough time finding the results searching on the web, thanks.

- Murk