This Is What A Feminist Looks Like

Monday, August 16, 2010
I'm a mean, mean feminist bitch. And, I wouldn't have it any other way.

Email: "Quick! Grab the book nearest to you, turn to page 18, and find line 4. What's it say?"

With no intent of replying, I casually look at his profile. He lists The Bro Code and I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell as his two favorite books of all time. Do men even READ my profile?

I look to my left to find the nearest book.

Yes Means Yes: Visions of Female Sexual Power & A World Without Rape happens to be sitting at my right elbow. This opportunity is too good to pass up.

Queen of Spades: It says..."And the traditional gender roles so exalted by conservative groups---roles that envision women as passive receptacles and men as aggressive deviants---further excuse and endorse sexual assault." You sure you want to play this game being as you list The Bro Code and I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell as your favorite books?

Douchasaurus: You assume I only read stuff like that ha, they are amazing books. That doesn't mean I don't read other, more sophisticated ones.

Queen of Spades: The fact that you call them "amazing" does not give you much credibility. Listing misogynist fiction which loosely masquerades as entertainment for masses insecure men, in fact, mostly bespeaks quite poorly of you. I said that I liked literature and education in my profile. I did not say that I enjoyed self-indulgent man-children with a need to degrade women.

Douchasaurus: Amazing meaning entertaining. But the fact that you chose to come back with such hostility doesn't seem to bode to well for you either. Enjoy your "literature."

Queen of Spades: Actually, "amazing" means causing great surprise or sudden wonder. I'd suggest turning those books in for a good, old-fashioned dictionary. Hugs and kisses!

As an aside, my date last week took a distinct nose-dive when my date remarked on how much he liked my bow. I think I stared at him in complete bewilderment for several minutes. Then he leered at me, closer and closer, until his eyes fixed upon my cleavage for an uncomfortably long pause.

"Your...bow," he said.

Yes, that's right, the bow in the middle of my bra. How charming.

Then receiving the bill for dinner, he pulls out a $20. (His entree alone was $26.) Awkward pause.

"Uh, sorry, I only have enough to cover my own meal, " I say while making sure my shirt is appropriately covering my cleavage.

"Oh." Grumble. Shuffle through wallet. Pulls out a few more dollars. "Fine. You can take me out for a drink next time." Leaves no tip for the waitress. Shameful.

He wants to go out again. I told him my bow has high standards and unfortunately it is only attracted to generous tippers and men who do not inappropriately leer. My bow has discerning tastes. And, it's not going to take any of your shit.


2 comments:

Caleb said...

Good post!

Working backwards....

Date sounded dreamy. When's date two? (no seriously- who are these guys? Don't they want to get laid?)

"Douchasarous" LOL! Can I borrow that?

My friend gave me "I hope they serve beer in hell" and said:

"Caleb- read this. This is you, but more asshole-y and womanizing-y."

The book was entertaining, and I think it certainly caused great and sudden surprises (hence, amazing), but I don't know that I would lead with that as my taste in literature.

And, technically, you judged his literature before he judged yours.

Judgery: you 1 him 0

You were still funnier than him though, which is what counts in the end, right?

Caleb

Megan said...

Judgmental, yes. But the literature I read does not encourage sexual assault or demean women. (Usually, I just get a "HELLS YEAH! I LOVE ZOMBIES, TOO!" or "Murakami...Instesting choice. Have you read his short stories?")

Besides, anyone who uses The Bro Code as a selling point on a dating website has it coming to them.